Friday, April 10, 2009

Mountain Trailways 4

While many people choose to use the New Year as a time for resolutions, new commitments & priority setting, I have often used the Spring-time for that purpose. I tend to focus on family in December, fast & worship to dedicate a new year in January, pray & write in February, reflect in March, & refocus in April.

It probably started because of the college students in our churches & my own tweenagers’ calendars, but I have found it helpful to journal resolutions & priorities in Dec/Jan, pray & study them in Feb/Mar, & make commitments related to these during the Easter season. For me, this is much more than just a habit or calendar issue though, it is an opportunity to discern the will of the LORD, honor the seasons HE has set, & step out in faith…trusting-obedience.

I want to encourage you to receive of these thoughts, reflect on what Father God is saying to you, & re-commit to the purposes, principles & priorities HE has given you. The following excerpts are from Mrs. Cowman’s Mountain Trailways opening devotional & Amy Carmichael’s journals:

(Christians) “Youth of the world, fellow mountaineers, roadmates, in the name of our loving Master we greet you on this glorious New Year’s (Season’s) morning! Together we stand at the foot of a great mountain range to salute the breaking of the dawn, to renew our covenant with Him, to place anew our hands in His as we begin our journey through the untrodden months ahead. Before us are twelve towering peaks rearing their heads above the snow line. The tang of their icy winds sweeps down upon us. We are awed by their desolate grandeur. Harken! Bugles are sounding. Those who have left the murky mists of the low valleys...beckoning us! The topmost crag challenges us, stirs our blood, and kindles our courage. Our Great Leader cries, “Out! Out! Take the trail!”

Multiplied thousands of Christians & youth are responding to His call to scale the heights, win the prize, “the high callings of God in Christ Jesus"--triumphant mountaineers who will participate in the conquest of the ages. To them, ‘the mountain shall be thine” (Joshua 17:18)—His gracious Word of assurance!

You and I can become Calebs (Read in the book of Joshua.). The hard climb strengthens the muscles; the problem solved trains the mind; the difficulties conquered build character. There is joy unspeakable in conquering mountains, triumphing in His victory!

(Remember)…Our Lord does not ask us to climb in our human strength. “I will gird thee!” He has not bidden us journey alone. “Lo, I am with you!” One Climbs beside you.

Make you away this very hour to the glory—crowned heights with God! Who knows what awaits you! Climb and Listen!” -Mrs. Cowman

Make me Thy mountaineer; I would not linger
On the lower slope.
Fill me afresh with hope, O God of hope;
That undefeated, I may climb the hill, As seeing Hum who is invisible.


Make me to be Thy happy mountaineer,
O God most high;
My climbing soul would welcome the austere;
Lord, crucify, On rock or scree, ice-cliff or field of snow,
The softness that would sink to things below.

Thou art my Guide; where Thy sure feet have trod
Shall mine be set;
Thy lightest word my law of life, O God;
Lest I forget, slip & fall, teach me to do Thy will,
Thy mountaineer upon Thy holy hill.

-Amy Wilson Carmichael

No comments:

Post a Comment